Friday, August 12, 2016

Grueling & boring ...

Good morning from Rio. You've seen the glamour on television. Here's the behind the scenes look. We basically sit in an office with no windows from 6 a.m. until 10 or 11 p.m. (although it's been a little earlier the last couple of nights), working logistics.

To date, I have had the opportunity to attend exactly no events. Do not misunderstand, that is not a complaint. This is my third Olympics and I go into this work fully understanding the expectations and requirements. I just think it might be important to let people know about the behind the scenes hours. Most of the planning for the next day, while outlined months in advance, actually happens in the very late hours the night before. To steal and mess up a well known phrase, "The best plans basically explode when the actual action begins" and that is true at the Olympics and definitely true here in Rio.

Here is a picture from yesterday as I transitioned from USA House back to the hotel office. Weather this morning is rainy.

I find it hard to believe it is August 12th already. I hope the remaining 13 days go just as fast. Closing ceremony is in nine days. I do hope to attend the ceremony.

As with any large group working closely in a stressful environment some of the "ends" are beginning to frazzle. Now is the most important time for the team as everyone is tired and there is a new group of hospitality guests with new demands.

I do hope to be able to provide some insight from one of the venues soon. Truly though, traffic is horrendous, the lines are long and getting through "mag & bag" is a nightmare.

Oh, there is some additional news. Those of us staying the hotel we now affectionately call "hooker heaven" are moving today to different hotels. Both of the new hotels are very nice and very convenient to the programs. That is exciting. I am moving to the hotel pictured in one of my earlier blogs.

Here's today's message for our U.S. media, "STILL WAITING TO SEE MY FIRST MOSQUITO!"

No comments:

Post a Comment