Saturday, August 20, 2016

This and One More

Best sand castle I have ever seen!!
First, thank you to those of you who took the time to stay up with my rants. Admittedly, this blog took a different slant than the Sochi blog.

Things are really beginning to wind down now. We're already preparing to pack up the myriad of things we brought as we have some pretty hard deadlines for the pallets.

I'm still not sure about attending the Closing Ceremony. Unfortunately, there is a bad feeling in the air for the USA team and I am leaving this Olympics with a very bad taste in my mouth for the "entitled" "all about me" athletes. The fallout in Rio was swift. Unfortunately, our security team is now recommending that we no longer be out past midnight (like I saw midnight outside the hotel at any time) and that we be off the beaches before the sun goes down. (Yes, I did get to walk in the sand when we visited the NBC Today Show set).

I think the Brazilians will be just as happy when the Olympics are over. Just like in every other large city in the world, there are good people and there are bad people. Unfortunately, Rio got a very bad rap for a job well done. In my own little way, I also tried to express our appreciation. I've literally done this hundreds of times as we walk from hotel to hotel or to some kind of event. Each and every time I received a huge smile and a thumbs up. I really hope it made some kind of difference. There are literally thousands of police and military standing just about everywhere exhibiting a show of force. When ever possible, I would show these men (exclusively men) this on my phone: Obrigado por fazer a segurança , nós realmente apreciamos o seu trabalho duro. "Thank you for doing security, we really appreciate your hard work."

I plan to do one or two more of these posts and in case it becomes a timing issue, please understand that the month spent in Brazil was arduous and at the same time very rewarding!



No comments:

Post a Comment