Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Missed a couple of days!

Maybe you noticed I missed a couple of days. On Monday, we had the opportunity to visit what I affectionately refer to as GJ (Giant Jesus) or as it is referred to here in Rio (and the rest of the world), Christ the Redeemer. We took their cog railway (striking similar to the cog railway in Colorado Springs - see below) to the top and spent some time in the clouds.

Immediately after that trip, I started feeling terrible and on Tuesday morning, visited the USOC's team doctor. Well ... it seems I developed a case of bronchial pneumonia. I'd like to attribute it to the grueling hours, lack of sleep, and food (see Montezuma), however, I really think it was from the air conditioner in my 1.5 star hotel. Probably black mold in the system to boot. Anyway, drugs and decongestants later, I seem to be on the mend and back to the work at hand. 

Rio seems to have settled into the "host" mode for the Olympics. People continue to go about their daily grind mostly oblivious to the thousands of VIP vehicles, hundreds upon hundreds of buses and myriad of taxis. BTW, the taxis' seem like bees trying to find their hive.

Looks like the Cog Railway in COS
Traffic is horrendous and that is NOT too strong of a word to use. It literally takes 90 minutes to 2 hours to go a distance that normally takes 45 minutes. There is nothing but stop and go traffic. In fact, in most cases (unless it is a very long distance) it is faster to simply walk. Usually (at least at the two other games I've attended) there are "Olympic Lanes." These lanes are designated as such for the length of the Games and are restricted to vehicles with proper identification. The lanes are very helpful for moving traffic. No such animal here in Rio. The roads are narrow and normally crowded so there really is no room for these lanes ... and none exist.

I hope those of you reading are enjoying. As they say in Rio ... Chow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment