Monday, August 22, 2016

That's a wrap!

The most medals won by the US in a non-boycotted Olympic year. 121 total pieces of hardware. It is good to feel like I contributed to that feat a little bit. Obviously, the athletes did all of the work and I feel kind of bad that many of them aren't treated better.

Don't get me wrong. The big name athletes (swimmers, track & field, basketball, etc) will continue to bask in the glory of their pro salaries, sponsorship contracts, and endorsements. I think, however, it might be possible for the grassroots athlete to get left in the dust!

I did not go to the Closing Ceremony last night. I found it difficult to want to travel in the crowds, deal with traffic and worry about security. I stayed in the hotel and had a nice dinner. We did lose power in the hotel for about 20 minutes. Backup generator, what backup generator. I was happy I was not in an elevator.

The games are over. We spend the next three days packing up everything we shipped here, palatalizing everything and then waiting to go home. Our flight leaves on Thursday at 9:30 p.m. from GIG to Houston. Then Houston to COS on Friday.

I hope everyone enjoyed the blog. I am 99 percent sure this will be my last blog from any Olympic Games. I've had the privilege of helping with the 2012 London Summer Games, the 2014 Sochi Winter Games, and the 2016 Rio Summer Games. My experience with "behind the scenes" at the Olympics is most probably done.

If you followed the blog thank you!

Oh, I want to share one more thing. I'm sure all of you have read about the ugly Americans (swimmers) and their debacle. I will leave their behavior and the consequences up to the USOC and USA Swimming. I do, however, want to say how proud I am of the Development back office team. We leave Rio and the people we touched with a much better feeling about Americans. I truly believe we made a difference. Also, throughout this entire experience, I used Google Translator. I walked up to every military security person I could and showed them this, "Obrigado pela seguranca. Agradecemos o servico." Translated it says, "Thank you for the security. We appreciate the service." I have to admit, I made many, many unappreciated people smile and and give me a thumbs up. That made me feel good!

Peace out Rio!

No comments:

Post a Comment